What is 265?
It is a world-class instruction and training facility for golfers of all skill levels, featuring:
- Eight tour-quality short game practice areas
- Nine hole par three course
- A three hole golf course loop which includes:
- 600 Yard Par 5 with fairway, rough, and bunkers
- 220 Yard Par 3 with bunkers and two tier green
- 450 Yard Par 4 with fairway, mature trees, and lake that guards the green
- More than 2.3 acres of tee space
- Two separate driving ranges in opposite wind directions
- Several target zoysia grass greens at various distances
- Distance flags
- Indoor computer lab with the latest computer analysis of your golf swing
- Comfortable modern clubhouse
- World-class golf instruction
- After-school golf programs
- Summer golf camps
- Open six days a week, closed on Tuesdays
What does “265” Stand for?
The name “265,” which is also visible in the logo, reflects David Toms’ winning score at the 2001 PGA Championship at the Atlanta Athletic Club. His score of 265 stood as the lowest aggregate total in major golf championship history for 15 years, from 2001 to 2016. The same number, 265, was also Toms’ winning score for his first PGA TOUR win (1997 John Deere Classic) and his win at the 2011 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial.
“We tried to come up with names, but nothing ever sounded appropriate for the facility. So one day I’m pulling into a local restaurant, and it came to me: maybe we can use a number. Then when I started thinking about numbers, I thought of 265, which is significant to me.”
The David Toms Academy is owned and operated by the David Toms Foundation, a 501(c)3 founded in 2003, which has awarded over $3.6 million dollars to local children’s charities.